Thursday 26 May 2011

Evaluation, OUGD203

I think this module has been a great learning curve from start to finish. I have enjoyed the contrast in the two briefs from the ycn brief that was very client driven to the more self directed Produce range and distribution. From working with these two types of brief I have found that i'm the sort of designer that prefers a more open brief. I love getting an idea and running with it so I feel it is fair to say that PRD fitted me like glove. However I learned a lot more from the collaborative ycn mainly how badly you can get things wrong, there were many moments were we both rained each other in and offered up new Ideas. This brief certainly taught me a different way of working and this was to work smart. It taught me to identify my own strengths and as well as  appreciating the abilities of my partner, so that we could effectively mold a project around our individual abilities. Ycn also taught me to look at briefs more careful as regards identifying the needs and ambitions of the client. I also found that a lot of the time the client themselves have often misunderstood their citation or infect simply need it pointing out to them. The most enjoyable thing about the brief for me was the various printing process I had to explore in order for the packaging to achieve the desired effect. I took the chance to make to create a complicated piece of print because I believe this will be a big part of my practice moving into the third year also I was disappointed not to have explored all the print possibilities for the packaging brief earlier in the year.Product, range and distribution was another opportunity for me to focus in on these skills. I think this brief more than any previous brought all the knowledge I have equipped throughout the program to the front. For me this project more than any meant that we had to consider the whole process of design and not just the design itself. I think on previous modules I have been guilty of just producing design that looks nice but is perhaps not appropriate, In this brief i feel I have mixed these two effectively stepping back from the design process and making sure that my aim has not been lost. One element of the project thats been a particular success is branding looking back on speaking from experience brief ,I had no consistency in my branding this allowed my product to lose focus on the message. With PRD I was careful not to make the same mistake brief I made it work across the range keeping visual consistency. My failings for this brief are once again documentation, I get a little carried away with the designing and forget to blog my progress this opens a set of problems one being I have to go back and blog old thoughts which means my blog has holes another. So its not that me not doing the work its just i'm not showing it and thats just stupid, something I really need to nip in the bud.

No comments: